Replace Social Security CardReplacement Social Security Card
How to Replace your Social Security Card

Losing your Social Security Card can be a scary event. Replacement of your social security card can be a hassle if you don't know the new rules, follow the correct process, or have the required documentation. We have listed the steps you need to take to get a replacement social security card.

Important! Social Security Card Warning Even if you do obtain a new SSN card, please keep in mind that your lost social security card can still be used by an identity thief to obtain credit and new accounts in your name. See steps you need to take to protect your identity when your social security card has been lost or stolen.

Many people have asked how to get a new social security number card after losing their SSN card or having it stolen. Getting a replacement social security card is free, for now anyway, but there are limits the Social Security Administration places on obtaining a new social security number if yours is lost or stolen.

Limitations for Replacement Social Security Cards

    Social Security Card Limits
  • You are limited to replacing your social security number 3 times in a year
    • 10 during your lifetime
  • Legal name changes and changes in noncitizen status that require card updates may not count toward these limits
  • You may not be affected by these limits if you can prove you need the card to prevent a significant hardship

Steps for Replacement of your Social Security Card

Replacement of your social security card can be a painless process if you follow the procedure and have the proper documentation required by the Social Security Administration to prove your identity.

Please keep in mind that all documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The SSA will not accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

Proof of Identity Documents

To get a Social Security number or a replacement social security card, you must complete an application and prove your U.S. citizenship or immigration status, age and identity.

Replacement social security cards do not require proof of age and U.S. citizenship if they are already in the SSA's records.

U.S. Citizens

The new law allows only certain documents to be accepted as proof of U.S. citizenship. The documents the Social Security Administration will accept include your:

  • U.S. birth certificate
  • U.S. passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

The SSA office will also ask to see one of the following documents:

(Different rules apply to non U.S. citizens to prove immigration status)

  • Your US driver’s license
  • A State-issued nondriver identity card; Or
  • U.S. passport.

If you do not have any of the documents listed above, or you can't get them replaced in 10 days, the SSA will ask to see one or more of the following:

  • Employee ID card
  • School ID card
  • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card)
  • U.S. military ID card
  • Adoption decree

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security must see your current U.S. immigration documents. Acceptable documents from the Department of Homeland Security include your:

  • Form I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa with your unexpired foreign passport);
  • I-94 with your unexpired foreign passport; or
  • Work permit card (I-766 or I-688B).

Submitting your Documents

Most states allow you to either mail in your documents or deliver your documents in person to your local Social Security Administration office.

Some states will not allow you to mail in your documents but require that you bring your documents in person to your local SSA office.

If you live in the New York City metropolitan area, Las Vegas NV, Orlando FL, or Phoenix AZ you may need to apply in person at your local. See listing below.

Social Security Administration Offices

Brooklyn Social Security Card Center
625 Fulton Street, Sixth Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Monday to Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Queens Social Security Card Center 
155-10 Jamaica Avenue, Second Floor 
Jamaica, NY  11432 
Monday to Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  
Wednesday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Las Vegas Social Security Card Center
1250 South Buffalo Drive
Suite 100
Las Vegas, NV 89117
Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

If you reside or receive your mail in the Orange, Osceola, or Seminole Counties in Florida, and need to obtain a new or replacement Social Security number card, you must go to:

Orlando Social Security Card Center
5520 Gatlin Avenue, Suite 102
Orlando, Florida  32812
Monday to Friday  8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

North Phoenix Social Security Card Center 
16241 N. Tatum Blvd., Suite B 
Phoenix, AZ  85032 
Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. 

Downtown Phoenix Social Security Card Center
250 N. 7th Avenue, Suite 200 
Phoenix, AZ 85007 
Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Protecting Your Lost SSN Card from Identity Theft

IMPORTANT! It is very important that you keep in mind that even if you report your card lost or stolen, the Social Security Adminstration will not take any action on the loss of your card. Your card can still be used in an identity theft scam.

An identity thief can still use your social security card or SSN to get your personal information and apply for credit in your name. If you suspect your someone is accessing your information you should take steps to protect yourself, your family and your finances by following the steps listed below:

  • File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
  • Check your Social Security record to make sure your income is being calculated correctly (call toll-free 1-800-772-1213; TTY 1-800-325-0778)
  • Monitor your credit reports for any suspicious activity
  • Consider using a service like LifeLock for an additional layer of protection